Like numerous other businesses, Airbnb has been negatively impacted by the coronavirus crisis. With many travelers postponing their trips and countless hosts opting to stop hosting until the pandemic has died down, it’s no surprise that the hospitality industry as a whole has suffered a financial hit.
In an effort to protect itself and its clients, Airbnb has changed its standards for what constitutes a truly pristine Airbnb property. If you’re still hosting during the pandemic, knowing how to implement these new protocols will not only help you keep yourself and your guests safe, but may also make your rental property more popular among guests.
In this article, we’ll explain what the enhanced cleaning protocol really entails and what effect these new requirements have had on vacation rental cleaning in Whittier, CA. Read on to learn more.
What is Airbnb’s enhanced cleaning protocol?
The enhanced cleaning protocol is a 5-step guide on how to clean a rental property to combat the spread of COVID-19. It features specific cleaning and disinfection instructions, recommends the most effective cleaning supplies, and explains crucial cleaning terms.
All hosts who wish to keep hosting during the coronavirus outbreak have to agree to follow this 5-step cleaning process. Otherwise, they won’t be allowed to continue hosting after November 20, 2020.
The cleaning protocol also requires all guests and hosts to:
- Wear a face mask or a similar face covering while interacting in person
- Always maintain a 6 feet distance (or more) from one another
Hosts and guests who don’t comply with these safety guidelines will not be eligible for a refund if the other party decides to cancel because of that. Repeat violations can lead to additional penalties.
What is Airbnb’s 5 step cleaning process?
This is a collection of cleaning practices that hosts are expected to follow between guest stays. Hosts who agree to this process will get a special highlight on their listings that lets guests know that the property is as safe as it can be.
Hosts should follow these 5 steps when cleaning their Airbnb:
Step #1: Prepare
- Purchase an EPA-approved household disinfectant
- Thoroughly ventilate the property prior to and during the cleaning
- Wear disposable gloves and a face mask while cleaning
- Carefully wash your hands before and after the cleaning
Step #2: Clean
- Dust, vacuum, mop, and sweep all areas
- Wipe down hard surfaces with water and soap
- Wash the laundry and the dishes on the highest heat setting that won’t damage the materials
Step #3: Sanitize
- Apply the disinfectant to all touchpoints (doorknobs, handles, light switches, TV and AC remotes, etc.)
- Make sure to let the disinfectant sit for the duration specified on the label
- Disinfected surfaces should be left to air-dry
Step #4: Check
Follow Airbnb’s recommended cleaning checklist for each room to ensure everything has been thoroughly cleaned
Step #5: Reset
- Don’t handle linens, cleaning kits, and guest supplies before washing your hands and replacing gloves
- Give your rental property a good cleaning between every turnover
- Make sure to safely store or dispose of protective gear and cleaning supplies
Where can I schedule a top-of-the-line vacation rental cleaning in Whittier, CA?
If the cleaning process listed above sounds like it takes a lot of time and energy, that’s because it does! This can be a huge problem for hosts who are working full-time and also trying to keep their vacation rental properties clean on their own.
Luckily, you don’t have to do everything yourself. Here at Oasis Natural Cleaning, we work with Whittier’s finest cleaning experts who will happily deal with your cleaning needs while you go for a relaxing walk by the Standard Oil Building with your loved ones. Call us today!