Did you know that the air inside your house can be up to 5 times more polluted than the air outside? It’s a scary statistic, especially when you consider how much emphasis is placed on outdoor air pollution.
To make matters worse, polluted air can aggravate chronic respiratory conditions, cause allergic reactions and headaches, and increase the possibility of contracting various diseases. It’s safe to say that improving the air quality in your house should be a top priority.
But how can you tell if the indoor air quality (IAQ) in your home is bad, and what can you do to improve it? Does using a professional Whittier, CA maid service improve your IAQ? Read on to learn the answers to these questions.
How can I check the air quality in my home?
No two homes are the same. As a result, the actual amount of indoor air pollution will almost always vary from house to house, with the area they’re located in being a major factor.
Here are 4 ways to check your IAQ:
- An indoor air quality monitor is an always-on electronic device that monitors and reports the quality of your indoor air.
- Carbon monoxide (CO) alarms will immediately alert you to high levels of CO. Since carbon monoxide can be extremely deadly, investing in an alarm like this is never a bad idea.
- Radon testing. Radon is an undetectable gas that can cause lung cancer. Luckily, radon test kits can be bought online or at any home improvement store.
- Mold testing is used to detect airborne mold spores that can aggravate respiratory conditions and possibly lead to a severe mold infestation.
How can I improve the air quality in my home?
Indoor air pollutants include everything from the contaminants brought inside by your pets, to lethal gas leaks. The good news is, a little basic knowledge and some preventative maintenance can have a hugely positive effect on your home’s IAQ.
Here are a few ways to improve your indoor air quality:
- Clean or replace the filters in your air conditioner
- Clean or replace the filters in household appliances (vacuum cleaner, kitchen vents, etc.)
- Make sure your air ducts are properly installed and maintained
- Always turn on your kitchen vents when cooking
- Regularly clean your rugs and carpets
- Keep the humidity in your home at a reasonable level
- Having indoor plants is a great way to pull contaminants right out of the air
How do you kill germs in the air?
The only way to keep germs out of your home is to adopt good cleaning and personal hygiene habits, air your place frequently, and regularly disinfect high-touch surfaces. This is especially true if someone in your household is sick or has been sick recently.
During the coronavirus pandemic, you should also make sure to frequently wash your hands, wash clothes that have been worn outdoors using the hottest washer setting, and refrain from shaking dirty clothes to keep from potentially dispersing germs into the air.
Where can I find a dependable Whittier, CA maid service?
It’s an unfortunate fact that many Americans don’t have the time to give their houses the cleaning they need. Not only does this result in a dirty and cluttered home, it can also increase the amount of indoor air pollution and facilitate the spread of harmful microbes.
Oasis Natural Cleaning is here to help. The cleaners we work with will happily use their extensive training and experience to give your place a world-class cleaning while you deal with your other obligations, or simply enjoy a pleasant afternoon at the Whittier Greenway Trail. Contact us today.